Prof. David Hackett Fischer (HIST) delivered a presentation on his upcoming book, Champlain's Dream, a biography of Samuel de Champlain, which is scheduled to be released on Oct. 14. In his lifetime, Champlain wore the mantles of explorer, mapmaker, soldier, sailor and the "Father of New France" for his successful colonization of many areas within Canada, including Quebec City, Fischer described in his presentation. However, Champlain's role that Fischer admires most and hopes to highlight through his new book is that of a humanist.

Fischer began research for Champlain's Dream in 2004 by traveling throughout the parts of Canada that were once called New France and along the coast of Maine with his wife, Judy. "Judy and I went on our own voyage of discovery, following the path of Champlain," Fischer said during his speech. A large collection of papers written by Champlain about his expeditions had disappeared, he said.

Fischer said that he often turned to people, rather than documents, in his research of Champlain. He met many artists, listened to stories passed down by word of mouth and even stopped in at a pizza parlor that had a picture of Champlain as its store logo. "When we put all these things together, they began to interlock," he said during the speech.

In time, Fischer developed not only a finer knowledge of Champlain's accomplishments, but also who Champlain was as a man.

"What I find most inspiring is the way Champlain worked with people unlike himself," Fischer said in an interview. Fischer explained how upon Champlain's arrival to America in 1603, Champlain walked directly into the middle of an encampment of various Indian nations and formed an alliance that lasted for generations by talking to Indian go-betweens, which Fischer describes as "translators of language and culture."

Champlain's ability to work with diverse people partially arose from his background. He grew up in Saintonage, a province in France that serves as a border between different cultures and religions, Fischer said. In France, Champlain worked to promote peace and tolerance with a circle of French humanists, who, as a group, served as a critical, yet often forgotten link in history.

These are the men who, according to Fischer, "inherited the Renaissance and inspired the Enlightenment."

Fischer described how Champlain carried this humanist spirit with him to the New World. "His dream was to go to the New World, meet all these people, and instead of treating people like he saw in his past, to work with them. The dream is to understand other people's humanity and respect other people," said Zachary Matusheski, a graduate student of Fischer's.

Champlain accomplished his humanistic dream under the guidance of Henry IV, who shared Champlain's outlook on humanity. According to Fischer, Henry IV may have had another underlying interest in Champlain's journey, for Champlain could very well have been Henry's son. Many historians have suggested that Champlain wasthe illegitimate son of a French nobleman, but Fischer is the first to suggest that he was the illegitimate son of Henry IV.

Fischer said, "It could have happened. Granted that there is exactly zero hard evidence to support that theory, but it would explain many anomalies in their relationship. It's only a possibility, but it's very clear that the two of them had a very special relationship.