Despite the signs in the Brandeis dining halls adorned with peace signs, flowers and a smiling egg that read "Cage-Free Eggs Are Now Available By Request," this is not always the case according to Co-Chair of the Student Dining Services Advisory Committee Jenna Brofsky '10, who in the short term would like to ensure that cage-free eggs are always an option for students and in the long run would like to see the complete transition from regular eggs to cage-free eggs in Brandeis dining halls.It would be more accurate for the signs to read "Cage-Free Eggs Available Sometimes." Many students, particularly the members of the Student Dining Services Advisory Committee, do not think that "sometimes" is acceptable. They believe that having cage-free eggs as an option isn't good enough because, according to Brofsky and Jenna Rubin '11, co-chair of the Dining Advisory Services Committee, it should be the only option.

"We really want to see a full switch to cage-free eggs, because cage-free eggs represent to us social justice," Brofsky said. "It means making sure we know where our food is coming from and that we are making responsible choices."

Cage-free eggs come from chickens that live in an open, humane environment. In an op-ed contribution published in the Justice last April, Brofsky and Max Fischlowitz-Roberts '10 wrote, "Cage-free eggs are eggs that are laid by hens that have room to walk around, spread their wings and generally live a better life." Regular eggs, on the other hand, are laid by hens that live in small, metal battery cages. "Over a hen's lifetime, she will have no more space in which to live than a piece of letter paper. Many birds die because of the dirty living conditions, dehydration and diseases that result from such unnatural confinement. The battery cage system causes enormous suffering," explained Brofsky and Fischlowitz-Roberts in their editorial.

Brofsky is working on making cage-free eggs the only option in Brandeis dining halls by drafting a referendum in the form of a student-wide petition which would require over 450 signatures. Brofsky and Fischlowitz-Roberts proposed this idea to Dining Services last fall, but Dining Services wanted to see greater student support. After working to increase awareness of cage-free eggs during the winter months, Brofsky and Fischlowitz-Roberts addressed it again in the spring. Once again Dining Services was hesitant to switch entirely over to cage-free eggs but this time agreed to provide cage-free eggs as an option.

Brofsky says she has been frustrated with a lack of commitment shown by Dining Services. She says she would like to see more passion and involvement on their part. "They've heard our suggestions and are working towards it, but I don't think they're internally motivated." She explained that since this is a student-led initiative, it's not Dining Services' job to be overly concerned. "Students have to go out of their way to show [that they want cage free-eggs], which is frustrating to me. It's not their priority. They are listening to us and hearing us out, but if we want to see a full switch, everyone needs to be really passionate and committed," Brofsky said.

Director of Dining Services Mike Newmark wrote in an e-mail to the Justice that the biggest problem isn't a lack of commitment on Dining Services' part, but "minimal student interest/support." However, in a survey taken last year by 240 Brandeis students, 70 percent said they would be willing to pay a higher price for cage-free eggs.

The additional cost of switching to cage-free eggs would be eight to 10 cents per egg, according to the Humane Society, a national animal protection organization. "They do cost a little more, but I'm sure most of the student population would be willing to pay more to have the chickens their eggs come from be treated kindly," said Rubin.

Newmark also explained that part of the problem has been obtaining cage-free eggs through Aramark, Brandeis' food service provider. "At times it has been difficult to obtain cage free eggs from our vendors based on various market demands/factors," he wrote in an e-mail. However, the transition to only cage-free eggs has been made by other schools that use Aramark, such as the University of Minnesota, the University of Rochester, the University of California, Irvine and Vassar College, Brofsky explained in her editorial.

"Many other schools with Aramark serve only cage-free eggs. I don't understand why we can't do that. Cage-free eggs are a really easy thing to do to help protect animals, and [doing so] makes sure they are living in a humane environment," Rubin said.

In the short term, the Student Dining Services Advisory Committee is working to make sure that cage-free eggs are always provided as an option on a more regular basis. "We are very committed to ensuring that the Dining Services [upholds] their end of the commitment," Rubin said. "I've heard at least 10 different circumstances of people not having cage-free eggs. It seems to be sporadic when they're available," Rubin continued.

When asked how often Sherman has cage-free eggs available, Stanley Pierre, who works at the omelet station in Sherman Dining Hall, replied, "Not always; sometimes they do, sometimes they don't."

Brofsky would like to see every station that has regular eggs available also offer cage-free eggs. "It is frustrating right now because there are not always cage-free egg whites or cage-free eggs for omelets," said Brofsky. She would also like the Dining Services employees to ask students whether they would prefer "cage-free or regular?" instead of just assuming students want regular eggs. Brofsky would like Dining Services employees to be more educated about this issue, citing communication as an important factor in making this happen.