Grayce Selig '11 broke her own school record in the women's 1,500-meter run and was one of three Brandeis men's and women's track and field competitors who medaled at the New England Division III Championships at Tufts University last weekend.In team standings, the women's squad finished seventh out of 31 schools, while the men finished 24th out of 25 schools.

The highlight of the meet was Selig's first-place finish in the 1,500-meter when she shattered the record by nearly a full second. She finished the race in a time of 4 minutes, 32.96 seconds, besting her mark of 4:33.91 that was set at the Fitchburg State Invitational two weeks ago.

"Her performances can speak for themselves," Beth Pisarik '10 said. "She's improving every week. It's also great having her to train with."

The triumph was another highlight on a phenomenal year for Selig, who qualified individually for cross-country nationals in the fall, then finished second at the University Athletic Association Indoor championships in the 1-mile run.

Selig currently holds the school record in both the 1,500-meter and 1-mile events.

The 1,500-meter race also featured Pisarik, who finished fourth with a time of 4:36.77, Marie Lemay '11, who was tenth with a time of 4:40.00, and Erin Bisceglia '12 who finished 11th, just 0.7 seconds off of Lemay's time.

Suzanne Bernier '10 acheived the team's next best finish, grabbing second in the high jump. Bernier reached a height of 1.68 meters, matching her previous career and school record.

"She was really excited about her performance. She continued to clear the bar and it was very exciting to watch," teammate Anifreed Sinjour '13 said.

Lily Parenteau '12 also competed in the high jump, finishing sixth with a height of 1.58 meters.

Alyssa Pisarik '12 and Ally Connolly '10, two of the squad's top distance runners, were also impressive in the meet. Pisarik finished third in the 5,000-meter race with a time of 17:48.27, while Connolly finished the same race with in 37:47.83.

"Our distance runners have really stepped up as of late," Sinjour said.

Lucia Capano '11 finished sixth in both of her events as well. Competing in the long jump and triple jump, Capano finished with distances of 5.31 meters and 11.28 meters, respectively.

Kim Farrington '13 also competed in the triple jump, finishing eighth with a distance of just short of 10 meters.

Sinjour's time of 59.50 seconds in the 400-meter race and Emily Owen's '11 time of 2:19.30 in the 800-meter race rounded out the women's performances. The two finished in 11th and 16th, respectively.

In the women's field events, Desiree Murphy '10 finished 11th in the discus with a toss totaling 35.13 meters.

On the men's side, Devon Holgate '11 had the team's best finish, grabbing seventh in the 1,500-meter race with a time of 3:55.68. Holgate's times have steadily improved over the past few weeks.

He finished first in the Fitchburg State Invitational with a time of 4:00.89 two weeks ago and followed that with a third place finish at the UAA Championships last week with a time of 3:57.69.

Both times set new personal bests, meaning that Holgate has sliced more than 5 seconds off of his time in the past two weeks.

"He looked really good out there today, and has been really improving as of late," Sinjour said.

Marc Boutin '12 finished less than 2 seconds off of Holgate's pace, finishing 12th with a time of 3:57.22. Ben Bray '11 finished 26th with a time of 4:11.07.

Aaron Udel '10 also grabbed a top 10 finish, placing tenth with a time of 1:55.18 in the 800-meter race.

"[Udel] looked really strong throughout the duration of the race," Sinjour commented.

The only other men's runner who competed in the meet was Mingkai Lin '12, who finished the 400-meter race in 50.74 , good for 16th place.

With the Eastern College Athletic Championships and NCAA Championships coming up on the calendar, Pisarik acknowledged the importance of training hard.

"We have to keep up the same training and have everyone work hard together," she said. "Everyone needs to support each other and cheer for other.

Next up for both squads is the Outdoor New England Championships this Friday and Saturday.