The Brandeis Hillel has decided not to include the Brandeis chapter of the Jewish Voice for Peace as a member group under its umbrella, according to a March 9 JVP press release.According to the Executive Director of Hillel Brandeis Larry Sternberg in an interview with the Justice, the Hillel Brandeis 11- member student board found that JVP's overall views on Israel conflicted with their own.

In an interview with the Justice, Brandeis Hillel President Andrea Wexler '11 said that Hillel supports Israel being a "Jewish, democratic state with definable borders." When asked how JVP's views on Israel differed from those of Hillel's, Sternberg said that JVP members expressed that they believe that Israel should be a democratic state with Jewish values.

In an e-mail to the Justice, Behrendt wrote "JVP supports Israel's right to security, sovereignty, and self-determination, and to remain a democratic state based on Jewish values."

According to its website, the JVP is a national Jewish activist organization that supports peace between Israelis and Palestinians in the Middle East.

Wexler said that before making the decision, the student board reviewed the JVP's constitution and past activities and consulted guidelines set forth by the international Hillel organization, which can be found on its website.

According to the JVP press release, the group was denied Hillel membership as a group because of its support of boycotts of Israeli goods produced in settlements in the West Bank. The settlements, according to co-founder of JVP Liza Behrendt '11, are a violation of international law which the JVP refuses to support by consuming goods made there.

According to the guidelines on the International Hillel's website, Hillel does not partner with groups that "[support] boycott of, divestment from, or sanctions against the State of Israel."

In a phone interview with the Justice, Jeff Rubin, associate vice president of communications at the global Hillel organization, said that any boycott of Israeli products is considered anti-Israel, regardless of where in Israel the products are made.

In a follow-up e-mail to the Justice, Rubin said that the JVP "falls outside of [international Hillel] guidelines for acceptable partners."

Behrendt said that she was "disappointed" with Hillel's decision to not accept the JVP as a member group.

"This was an excellent opportunity for dialogue and growth," said Behrendt. "[The decision] was a real letdown."

Behrendt added in a follow-up e-mail that she believes that the guidelines set forth by Hillel promote a "blind support of Israel."

"Either you support all of Israel's policies or you oppose [Israel]," she said.

Behrendt said she believes that the guidelines set by the global Hillel organization state that member groups must support all policies set by the government in order to be considered supportive of Israel.

However, Rubin said that Hillel does not reject a group if it does not agree with some of Israel's policies and according to the international Hillel's guidelines, it "strives to create an inclusive, pluralistic community where students can discuss matters of interest and/or concern about Israel and the Jewish people in a civil manner."

Wexler said that the student board consulted only the guidelines and Hillel Brandeis staff, but that the student board also supports and holds the same views on Israel, as do the guidelines set by the international Hillel organization.

According to Sternberg, he was contacted by the global Hillel organization. "They noted with approval that the students had referenced the guidelines," said Sternberg.

Wexler said that although Hillel does not recognize the JVP, she would still like to work with its members in the future by co-sponsoring events and promoting discussion between the JVP and Hillel groups.

Rubin also said that groups excluded from Hillel membership are not barred from Hillel activities and that he encourages discourse between such groups and Hillel.

Wexler also said that any students, whether or not they belong to a certain group, are welcome within Hillel to exchange ideas and hold discussions about issues regarding Israel.

Sternberg said that although Hillel endorses any events sponsored by member groups, any group has the opportunity to work with Hillel to sponsor on-campus events, including JVP.

Behrendt said that she had not yet confirmed what the JVP is planning to do in the near future or if it will be in contact with Hillel.