Executive Senator and Senator for the Class of 2011 Abraham Berin played a YouTube video taken on April 4 of members of Brandeis Students for Justice in Palestine and leaders of Jewish Voice for Peace shouting at Israeli Knesset member Avi Dichter and walking out of the Levin Ballroom during the Ruderman Fellows event. The senators then discussed whether the Senate should take any action in response to that incident. The lengthy discussion encompassed such topics as the difference between BJSP and JVP, the difference between the actions of a club and those of its members, individuals' rights to free speech, whether the protestors violated the Student Rights and Responsibilities Handbook, and what role, if any, the Senate has in disciplining the students involved.

Ultimately, the Senate voted (10 in favor, five opposed, two abstentions) to support an open letter that Berin had written outside of his role as a senator titled "Letter of Disapproval for the Actions of the Brandeis Students for Justice in Palestine and members of the Brandeis Jewish Voice for Peace."

Berin proposed a bylaw addition that would require all clubs to follow Rights and Responsibilities as a group. As per Senate protocol, the proposal will be discussed and brought to a vote at the next Senate meeting.

The Senate voted unanimously to recognize the Brandeis Disabilities Club. Senator for the Class of 2011 Michael Newborn, who was representing the club, explained that he intends for the club to become a community for individuals with disabilities of all types to socialize and support each other.

The Senate unanimously approved Senate Money Resolution S11-09, which will allocate up to $4,000 to the Senate Services Committee to spend on the Midnight Buffet.

Berin, one of the co-chairs of the Services Committee, explained that the actual cost of Midnight Buffet will be less than $4,000.

Berin presented a review of the Senate's budget. According to the presentation, the Senate began the semester with $12,969.26 in allocatable funds. As of the start of the meeting, the Senate had a total of $9,041 for the rest of the semester. The approval of $8,629 worth of SMRs at this meeting leaves $380 for the final two meetings of the semester, said Berin.

The Senate unanimously approved SMR S11-10, which provides $484 for a fundraising raffle to the Brandeis student-run nonprofit organization Coins for Children, which the organization's representatives explained encourages children to collect coins to be used to purchase toys and other items for hospitalized children. The representatives explained that a similar raffle conducted last year, which they said had been funded by an SMR of approximately $500, yielded about $1,300 toward the project.

Berin and Senator for the Foster Mods Tyrone Calliste '11 presented SMR S11-11, which requested $1,475 for a beach-themed celebration co-sponsored by Student Activities to be held outside the Mods during Senior Week. The SMR passed unanimously.

Senator for the Castle Miriam Halimi '13 presented SMR S11-12, which provides $1,396.98 for a sophomore barbecue. The Senate approved the SMR unanimously, minus one abstention.

The Senate unanimously approved SMR S11-13, which provides $1,274 for a carnival-themed barbecue co-sponsored by the Department of Community Living to be held in Massell Quad.

Senator for East Quad Andrew Hayes '13 reported that last week's event to promote drinking tap water only required about $4 rather than the $50 that had been allocated to him last week in an SMR.

-Brian Fromm