Brandeis was listed on the 2010 President's Higher Education Community Service Honor Roll, according to a May 12 BrandeisNOW press release.The University is one of over 600 colleges and universities recognized on the honor roll list for having a "exemplary, innovative, and effective community service program," according to the website for Learn and Serve America, which encourages education through community service among U.S. students and which launched the honor roll in 2006.

According to the website, the honor roll list commemorates the commitments higher educational institutions have made to community services and raises awareness of their work among the public.

In an interview with the Justice, Director of the Department of Community Service Lucas Malo said that recognition on the honor roll was "phenomenal."

"It was an honor," said Malo. "It speaks to our student body and the work that [they] are doing."

Malo referenced programs that students started and participated in, such as Junior Brandeis Achievers, an after-school program in Waltham elementary schools; Language and Cultural Enrichment, a tutoring program for English Language Learning students in order to work with kids to develop their English; and WATCH Tenant Advocacy Clinic, which provides Waltham residents with free legal advice regarding housing rights. Information on these and other community service projects can be found on the Waltham Group website, said Malo.

Malo said that the application process to be on the honor roll was "eye-opening."

"It really allowed us to look at all our social justice efforts and pull them together," he said. According to Malo, Brandeis students put in about 40,000 hours of community service last year.

Malo said that the recognition "paints a very positive picture" of students and the University and also helps community service groups on campus reach out to potential donors in order to receive funding for current and future products.

In addition, Malo said that he was glad that both the University and the students were recognized for their community service effors. "No way could we have gotten this honor without our students," said Malo. "Our students are basically staff members with the work that they're doing."

Malo said that this is the first time that the University has been recognized on the President's Higher Education Community Service Honor Roll.

According to the BrandeisNOW press release, an award will be presented at the National Conference on Volunteering and Service in New Orleans in June.