Student Union Elections have been postponed one week due to the resignation of Jenny Lau '14 from the Senior Representative to the Alumni Association seat, according to Student Union President Herbie Rosen '12 in an interview with the Justice.

"Instead of running an additional election after the [one] that would have been [last Monday], we decided it would be easier to postpone the election another week so we could gather candidates for that position," said Student Union Secretary Todd Kirkland '13 in an interview with the Justice.

In addition, postponing elections by a week provides more time to recruit potential candidates, according to Kirkland. As of 4 p.m. yesterday, four students have signed up to run for the Racial Minority Senator seat and nine students are running for the three open Judiciary seats.

According to Kirkland, no students have signed up to run for the Charles River Senator seat, the Mods Senator seat or the Senior Representative to the Alumni Association seat.

When asked why Lau resigned from her seat, Rosen said "she just didn't think it was something she wanted and it wasn't in her priorities right now."

Kirkland said that the three Judiciary seats must be filled and if they are not filled during the upcoming election, another one will be held until the positions are filled. However, if they are filled, no further elections will be held this semester, even if the other positions stay vacant.

Rosen sent an email to the residents of the Foster Mods and the Charles River Apartments encouraging students to run for their quad senator position.

"All of you have at least two class representatives, but it would be a shame for your Quads not to be represented in a group that affects our student environment," wrote Rosen in the email.

Kirkland said that, so far, no one has responded showing interest.

He said the "next step" would be to approach individuals, asking if they themselves or students they know would be interested in running.

Rosen and Kirkland also said that the extra week will allow them to work out issues with the instant runoff voting system. The system was thought to have resulted in two open seats that should have been filled, due to an inconsistency with voter intentions, according to a Justice examination.

The Student Union is obligated to use the system under contract, said Rosen.

According to Kirkland, Rosen contacted the company, which said that it would respond to Rosen.

"We're still working on [the system]," said Rosen. "It's a system we inherited. We're just trying to do the best we can."