Last Friday, the University released its first iPhone application, according to Associate Vice President for Communications Bill Burger in an interview with the Justice.

The application currently has seven different features: News, Maps, Videos, Photos, Athletics, Emergency and Library. Brandeis worked in a "development partnership" with a California company called EZ Axess to create the app, said Burger, setting requirements and providing some of the design of the app, such as the icons on its home screen.

"We've been thinking about [the application] for a while," said Burger, since many other universities have them. "We were approached by this vendor, with an attractive business model, so it made sense to move ahead," explained Burger.

According to EZ Axess' website, the company offers a mobile platform for universities and police departments for free. The company plans to charge in the future for the development of new premium features.

The University plans to continue developing the app and adding more features, although none have been announced at the moment, according to Burger. There has only been limited feedback so far, as the app has not yet been officially promoted within the Brandeis community. Burger said that they plan to make a "broader" announcement today and that they will be working during the next few months to raise awareness of the app.

"I hope that it gives [the Brandeis community] just another way to interact with Brandeis, to get information about Brandeis," said Burger.

The app is available from the iTunes App Store for iOS devices, and there also a web app version with limited features available for other smart phones at m.brandeis.edu.

—Sara Dejene contributed reporting.