After defeating the University of Massachusetts at Boston Beacons last Sunday, the softball team needed just one more out in the bottom of the seventh inning on the road to secure the sweep of the doubleheader. However, with the bases loaded, Beacon freshman third baseman Amanda Perry hit a two-out, two-run single that catapulted UMass Boston over the Judges to a 3-2 win.

Despite the loss, the Judges went 4-2 last week, including a sweep of Framingham State University and a split with Worcester State University. The team ended the regular season with a notable 23-16 record.

In the loss to UMass Boston, the Judges committed four costly errors.

Pitcher Melissa Nolan '14 allowed all three runs in the game but allowed no earned runs due to the Judges' defensive woes.

Despite the loss, the Judges started the day by belting 14 hits en route to a 10-4 victory. Although the Judges led 6-4 going into the top of the seventh inning, they scored four more runs to cushion their lead and ultimately take the game.

Last Friday, the softball team swept its doubleheader against Framingham State University by a 9-1 margin. The seniors, who played their last career regular season home games, scored a combined record of 10 RBIs.

In the second game on Friday, the Judges scored at least one run in five of six innings. Center fielder Lauren Porcaro '12 led the Judges with three RBIs, including a home run, while Brittany Grimm '12 had a team-leading three hits.

Earlier that day, nine of 10 Judges batters recorded hits in the game. Of the Judges' 16 hits, three went for extra bases. Grimm and pitcher Caroline Miller '12, who walked no batters and struck out eight, each belted doubles to deep right field.

Last Thursday, the Judges defeated Worcester State University 6-1 on the road in the first game of a doubleheader, before dropping a 4-2 contest later in the day.

In the team's loss, the Judges recorded a costly six walks. The team scored one run in the sixth and seventh innings, but it was not enough to overcome the runs Worcester State scored between the third and fifth innings.

Catcher Cori Coleman '15 stated that in order to improve the team's offensive output, they must focus better and be confident at the plate.

"We just need to relax and believe that we can do it," she said.

Despite the loss in the game, the team exploded offensively for six runs on 13 hits, including another home run from Grimm. The Judges led 2-1 going into the top of the seventh inning and they scored four runs to cushion their lead, allowing for pitcher Nikki Cote '15 to relieve Miller and record the final three outs for the win.

Although the regular season is now over, the team can also boast the selection of four new members to the All-University Athletic Association squads.

Infielder Marianne Specker '12 rounded out her career with a berth on the First All-UAA squad, leading the conference with 35 RBIs and 49 hits. Outfielder Amanda Genovese '15 was selected as Brandeis' first All-UAA Rookie of the Year since the award was first presented in 2001, leading the UAA with 15 stolen bases and a .489 on-base percentage. Grimm was selected to the Second All-UAA team for the third straight year, while Porcaro earned a spot via her conference-leading seven runs.

Coleman is also excited about the team's likely berth in the Eastern Collegiate Athletic Conference playoffs, stating that the Judges have the potential to win a championship.

"It should be a good post-season," she said. "If we play to our potential, we can win ECACs."
"That would be a great way to end to the season for our seniors."
*