President Barack Obama was publicly sworn in for his second term yesterday, in front of a crowd of about one million at the U.S. Capitol.

The forty-fourth president, who made history by becoming the first African-American to take office, called for more inclusion and for Americans to "seize" the moment together.

The President also mentioned issues that he would address in his second term, including climate change, immigration, lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and queer rights and equal pay for women.

The day was additionally historic, with the ceremonies coinciding with Martin Luther King, Jr. Day and Obama himself taking the oath on King's Bible.

A few Brandeis students were among the crowds gathered at the National Mall.

Noah Coolidge '16 in an interview with the Justice said that this was his first time attending a presidential inauguration.

"It was a lot like what you see on TV. You see a sea of people. ... You see a lot of pomp and circumstance," he said. "A lot of energy. A lot of excitement." He recalled a "sea of flags" and a crowd chanting Obama's name.

It was also the first time for Prof. Chad Williams (AAAS). "It was very festive," he remarked in an interview with the Justice. "It was very well organized. The atmosphere was great. Everyone was very excited."

Jordan Schwartz '16, who was seated in front of the Capitol, described a more chaotic scene. In an email to the Justice, he wrote that other attendees attempted to "get a better view" by "fighting to get on top of the row of porta-potties."

"Eventually the crowd took matters into their own hands and began shaking the units back and forth," he wrote. "It was a great day, but a logistical nightmare," he later commented.

As for the speech, Williams said he thought the President delivered his speech well and that he was able to "present a very nuanced and inclusive vision of American history" while also focusing on the "notion of citizenship."

"I thought it was a good message," said Coolidge. "I think it's a message that resonates with me. It's sort about how we need to come together on these important issues like climate change [and] gay marriage. ... I think the fact that it was Martin Luther King, [Jr.] day, the speech sort of reflected that too."

-Sara Dejene