On May 19, students, faculty, administration, family and friends came together to celebrate the Brandeis graduate school Class of 2024. The ceremony  acknowledged students from the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences, Heller  School for Social Policy and Management, Brandeis International Business  School and the Rabb School of Continuing Studies, as well as gave out honorary degrees to Rabbi David Ellenson and  Ruth Simmons.

Simmons was introduced to the audience by President Ronald Liebowitz,  who listed her many accolades including holding university presidency at  Smith College, Brown University and  Prairie View A&M University. She has  had a great impact on these universities,  including leading Prairie View to be  classified as an R2 research university  and helping Brown to “[make] significant strides in improving its standing as  one of the world’s finest research universities,” as stated in the event program.

Simmons was the first African American president of an Ivy League institution and has received many awards  including the Centennial Medal from  Harvard University, the Brown faculty’s highest honor, the 2002 Fullbright  Lifetime Achievement Award and the  2001 President’s Award from the United  Negro College Fund. Simmons was also  named a Chevalier of the French Legion of Honor in 2012 and holds many  positions including senior advisor to  the president of Harvard University on  Historically Black Colleges and Universities initiatives and member of the  Smithsonian’s National Museum of African American History and Culture.

Following the distribution of the honorary degrees, now Doctor of Humane  Letters, Simmons presented the keynote  address to the audience. She began her  address with the statement “I congratulate you on the singular milestone that  we celebrate today. But I know that this  is only the beginning of the accomplishments that you will accumulate in the  years ahead.” Simmons went on to acknowledge that the graduates sitting  before her will make significant contributions to the legacy of the institution. She acknowledged Brandeis graduates  that have gone on to do great things,  such as Deborah Bial ’87 founding a new approach to inclusive education and Julianne Richardson ’76 acknowledging African  American history makers through her created  archive.

Simmons went on to assert that “Brandeis  continues to uphold the bedrock values needed  for a strongly and successfully diverse democracy, freedom of expression, civil discourse,  respect for diverse cultures and active engagement in principles of shared governance.” She  explained that she is grateful for the “attitude  inspired by this institution,” and decided to  dedicate her ceremonial remarks to individuals that shaped her life and work who have  come from Brandeis.

She describes the need to “rely on individuals whose visions and efforts point to a more  positive future, for our aspirations are invariably fueled by the extent to which we see others envisioning a different and better circumstance.” Simmons explained that hope is often  found from others, and that others have “enabled [her] to imagine a different future, when  everything about [her] said that [she] could not  expect a better life.” 

The first Brandeis alumnus that Simmons  spoke of was Robbert J. Zimmer ’68, former  president of the University of Chicago and her  provost whilw she was serving as the president  at Brown. She explained that while it may not  seem like a big deal in today's world, the choice  to work for a Black woman was a “really big  deal back then.” She admired his ability to  lead, commitment to freedom of expression  and efforts to be truthful while acknowledging  the honorary degree that he received from the  University. She stated, “His commitment to  Brandeis values always shone through from  the launch of centers around the world, to the  embrace of local initiatives for minorities,  rural youth and veterans, he had no intent to  equivocate about his bed on values.” Simmons  acknowledged that while they were very different presidents to their respective universities,  she learned a lot from him as an individual. 

The second Brandeis alumnus that she spoke  about as an influential member of her life was  Gary Tinterow ’76, the director of the Museum  of Fine Arts in Houston, Texas. Simmons explained that they both grew up in Houston but  in very different socioeconomic areas and had  access to different levels of educational institutions. “Years later [they] work together in  friendship,” She stated. “Under his leadership  the museum generously served the broadest  possible public. From the selection of … exhibitions to curating special exhibits, Gary is intent on including the Arts and Cultures of the  public the museum serves.” She then went on  to state that “because this Brandeis graduate  embraces fully the commitment to social justice and inclusion and works tirelessly to bring  about in the realm of fine arts, Houston's becoming the place that as a child, [she] thought it  might become.” Simmons credits the decision  to develop their knowledge at a higher level as  the reason they have gained the hopefulness  that will lead to a path to a better future. 

Simmons expressed that “we can never be  certain of an ever positive trajectory of change.  Nor can we be certain that intelligence, fairness and respect for others will predominate.  But because of your dedication to knowledge,  alongside your commitment to justice, we can  be more hopeful that we will have the leadership needed to continue on a path of improvement.” This theme of a path forward was a  thread throughout the speech, as she highlights  the inspiration one can find from an institution  such as Brandeis and the amount of possibility  ahead for the graduates.

“Each of us is called on to defend the principles that undergird our freedoms,” Simmons  said, beginning the conclusion of her address.  “That is in every feature of our work and our  lives. We must uphold the commitment to fairness, inclusion and justice, anything less is to  accept the worst of all possible.” Simmons calls  on the graduates to move forward with hopefulness. The accomplishments that they have  achieved will help them move forward as role  models and inspirations in their communities.  She stated “You can only do justice to both if  you're engaged in the effort to combat hopelessness. What will they see, not only in the way  you work but also the way you live and care for  others. I pray that what they see is meaningfully aligned with the values that are so clearly  represented in the founding of this institution.”  She wished the graduates congratulations as  the conclusion to her remarks.