On Monday, April 22, University President Ronald Liebowitz emailed the Brandeis community announcing the extension of transfer applications. The extended transfer application deadline is May 31 and prospective students will hear back from the University regarding their applications by July 1.

In his email, Leibowitz attributes the transfer application extension to rising rates of antisemitism on college campuses. He stated that “Jewish students are being targeted and attacked physically and verbally, preventing them from pursuing their studies and activities outside of class, just because they are Jewish or support Israel,” especially on campuses where protests have taken place. In his words, Jewish students’ “safety has been compromised and this is unacceptable.”

The email also contained a brief history of Brandeis’ founding, including its commitment to protecting the safety of its students. Liebowitz communicated Brandeis’ pride in being a place where Jewish students can “thrive.” Liebowitz urged prospective transfer students to visit the Brandeis undergraduate admissions website.

The email concluded with a brief statement expressing that the University welcomes those who are looking for an “excellent undergraduate education and an environment striving to be free of harassment and Jew-hatred.”