On Tuesday June 11, a protest with the purpose of negotiating better contacts took place in front of the Berstein-Marcus administrative buildings. Shouts including “Brandeis works, because we do” and “What do we want? Contracts. When do we want them? Now.” could be heard emanating from the area. 

Beginning the protest, one participant started “admin would like us to believe that there is no money in the budget for us or to give better wages.” This was a sentiment that was held across the gathering. Others questioned the size of President Ronald Liebowitz’s salary in comparison to the salary of Brandeis faculty and staff, especially amidst ongoing layoffs.

Joanna Fuchs, a member of the Brandeis library staff and the Local 888, spoke at the rally expressing that President Liebowitz and the Brandeis faculty have each other's backs. “If they valued us they would be out here to listen to us,” Fuchs said. She also spoke on the fact that layoffs were occurring and the Science 2A plan was put on pause, all while plans to build a new dorm were being set in motion. 

The university’s financial state has impacted many if not all unions on campus, including the graduate student union, who have been trying to negotiate better contracts as they are facing housing and food insecurity.

There was another rally on Tuesday, Aug. 27, at 1:30 p.m. The event included members of SEIU Local 509, SEIU Local 888, 32BJ SEIU, graduate students and other supporters from the Brandeis and Waltham communities. The protestors gathered on a stretch of grass in front of the University’s main gates, allowing visibility from passing cars. 

Shortly after 1:30 p.m., the rally kicked off. Participants marched in a circle, brandishing posters reading “Grad needs dental,” “Brandeis runs on SEIU labor,” “Respect us - pay us what we’re worth” and more. Additionally, they chanted in support of their cause, “No contract? No peace! No justice? No peace! No respect? No peace!” and “Who’s got the power? We’ve got the power! What kind of power? Union Power!” 

Shortly afterwards, the protestors gathered to hear the first spokesperson, Lennie Dohonoe, a 32BJ member and plumber at Brandeis, give opening remarks. During an interview after the rally with The Justice, Donohoe said Brandeis employees are “not settling this time.” Donohoe explained, Brandeis is “20-30%” further behind than other universities in terms of paying their service employees. As a result, many employees are unable to support the costs of living in Massachusetts and have been forced to move to neighboring states such as Rhode Island or New Hampshire. 

The second speaker was Maritza Ayala, a Brandeis service employee. Ayala, in Spanish and then English, spoke on her personal experience as a Brandeis employee. She capitalized on her struggle to meet her family’s needs on her salary, saying that she makes “933 dollars a week but brings 500 home after deductions,” pointing out that her rent is $3300. “Think about that,” she prompted. “Think about us. We have a family, we need a chance.” Currently, Ayala must work overtime to meet her needs and put her son through college. 

Following Ayala was Representative Thomas M. Stanley, a Waltham resident and Massachusetts representative for the 9th Middlesex District. In his address, Stanley voiced his concerns regarding Brandeis’ impact on the Waltham community. He articulated that while Waltham is proud of Brandeis, “these workers deserve a fair wage.” He also pointed to the large number of community members who have needed to leave Waltham due to insufficient wages, demonstrating the effects of how Brandeis pays its workers. 

Roxana Rivera, he head of 32BJ SEIU, put the rally in the context of labor day, pointing out that the intended purpose of labor day is to support workers and elevate the value and dignity of work. “It’s not enough to do a cookout,” Rivera said. “We have to fight to ensure that we can fight for our families, and ensure that our children are able to do what we were not able to do.” Echoing Ayala’s sentiments, Rivera emphasized the importance of a salary upon which employees are able to support their families. 

Sarah Dennis, a graduate student worker in the mathematics department, spoke next. She started her speech by pointing out that the nine month graduate stipend doesn’t cover the cost of food and rent, and continued by elaborating on the emotional load involved in her work. Dennis, as a math PhD student, is required to spend at least two years teaching calculus. In a post rally interview with The Justice, she explained “Calc is mostly freshman, they ask questions about everything - I had a fight with my roommate, what do I do?” illustrating the emotional load of her work. In addition to financial stress and food insecurity, Dennis feels that her stipend does not reflect the emotional undertaking which is involved in her work. 

Following Dennis were two more Brandeis students: Zach, a graduate worker in the physics department, and a representative from the Brandeis Revolutionary Students Organization. Each gave brief statements in support of the worker’s union.  

After the RSO representative spoke, an unknown male passing by in a car shouted “Communist scumbags!” at the rally, which was met with a cheer from the rally participants. 

The next speaker was Jonathon Feinberg, a representative from the New England Jewish Labor Committee. Feinberg pointed out the inconsistencies between Brandeis’ treatment of staff and Jewish teachings, stating to the protestors “thousands of years of Jewish tradition are on your side.” According to Feinberg, the Jewish sages agreed unanimously on the right to take action when things were not right, aligning with the rally’s purpose of arguing for more just wages. 

After Feinberg’s speech, the protestors continued chanting and walking. As they did so, Rivera gave closing remarks, capitalizing on the power in the worker’s union. Rivera specifically pointed out an upcoming union meeting on Sept. 10, calling on her community members to show up and advocate for their cause.