For those of us in the Northern Hemisphere, the autumn equinox happens every September and marks the official start of the fall season. This year, the equinox happened on Sunday, Sept. 22 at 8:44 a.m., and as the crisp air settles in and leaves begin to turn, Waltham transforms into a picturesque backdrop for fall adventures. Here are some of the best seasonal spots and activities:

1. Pumpkin Picking and Corn Mazes

Kick off the season by visiting local pumpkin patches. The Wright-Locke Farm in Winchester, Massachusetts is a historic property and a local favorite, having been operational since 1628. It offers a family-friendly atmosphere with a variety of pumpkins, hayrides and a corn maze. Students can enjoy the outdoors while selecting the perfect pumpkin for carving, especially in preparation for when Halloween comes around.

2. Apple Picking

Just a short drive from campus, Honey Pot Hill Orchards in Stow, MA is a beautiful setting for apple picking. The orchards, founded in 1926 by Clifford Martin, have been run by the Martin family for decades now. Known for their fruit harvest, the orchards’ available apple varieties include Cortland, Empire, Ginger Gold, Cortland, Ambrosia, Spartan, Fuji, Golden Supreme, Honeycrisp, Gala, Smitten and McIntosh. This is absolutely the place to start if you’re planning to make homemade apple cider or pie.

3. Local Festivals

The fall season brings various festivals to Waltham. The Waltham Farmers’ Market runs through October, featuring locally grown produce and artisan goods from cheese, eggs, meats, baked goods, soaps, sauces, wine, mead and prepared specialty meals. The Waltham Oktoberfest is also a great opportunity for students to enjoy food, drinks and live entertainment, making it a perfect spot for a weekend outing.

4. Hiking and Nature Walks

The fall foliage provides stunning views perfect for hiking. Nearby trails in Prospect Hill Park and Charles River Reservation offer natural scenery for outdoor enthusiasts.

5. Halloween Events

As Halloween approaches, students can immerse themselves in local spooky attractions like haunted houses, ghost tours and pumpkin carving contests. Barrett’s Haunted Mansion in Abington, MA offers a range of haunted house events as well as lunch at the Abington Ale House. The famous Boston trolley tours offer “Ghosts & Gravestones” tours and nightwalks which explore Boston’s oldest burying grounds, a haunted hotel and other frightful sites.

6. Seasonal Crafting

The Waltham Public Library frequently holds crafting events and workshops. This month, one of their crafting events is a four-session series, “Knitting 101: Knitting a Cowl Neck Scarf.” The month of October holds a variety of fall-themed crafting events, including making yarn pumpkins, candles and papercraft haunted houses. All events at the library are free and provide resources for arts and crafts like three dimensional printers, a laser cutter, cricuts, a computer numerical control machine, a sewing machine, a soldering iron, a paper cutter and other crafting supplies.

7. Culinary Delights

Cooler temperatures warrant warmer coffees. Caffe Ollo on Moody Street and Cafe on the Common on Main Street provide seasonal items such as warm teas, coffees and lattes. Diner spots like Leo’s Place and Josephs Two on Main Street offer menus featuring a wide range of hearty meal options. Alternatively, grab a customized crepe at Mr. Crepe in Somerville.

8. Studying Spots

For those looking for a quieter fall experience, consider spending some time in cozy study spots like the seating outside the Rose Art Museum where you can enjoy the natural ambiance. Other options further into the city include the Boston Public Library, specifically their McKim Courtyard, which has plenty of cafe tables surrounding a sculptural fountain, or the similar Calderwood Courtyard at the Museum of Fine Arts.

With plenty of options as far as going out this fall rather than staying indoors, I’m inclined to quote the wise words of Lenny Kravitz: “Grab your big scarf. It’s the first day of fall.”