Freshly ranked by the United Soccer Coaches as one of the top 25 women’s soccer teams in Division III athletics, the Brandeis Judges headed to Boston this past weekend to meet a fellow top 25 team for the first time this season. The Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) Engineers were awarded a fourth place ranking going into the second week of the regular season. Previously this season, the Judges beat unranked Fitchburg State University 7-0, Babson College 4-0, Rhode Island College 4-0, and Clark University 4-2. 

So far this season, the Judges have been led by sophomore forward Tanvi Raju ’27, who leads the Judges with six goals, and freshman forward Peterly Leroy ’28, who has four. The Judges have been a high-scoring team so far — their opening game on Aug. 30 was decisively won with seven goals starting at the 15:12 minute mark, as Leroy nailed the net in her first collegiate start. The Judges’ offense was unrelenting: their seventh goal came at the 88:03 minute mark, when fellow freshman Laurene Creteau ’28 scored. Graduate student goalie Rachel Ross MSBA’25 did not let a shot in until the Judges met Clark on the road this past Wednesday. 

Meeting MIT was going to be the first real test of Brandeis’ strength as a relatively young squad; 15 of their 21 roster members are underclassmen. The fighting spirit of the Engineers was felt immediately by the Judges, as they outshot them 7-1. However, neither team was able to score in the first half. Coming into the second half, both teams were hungry for points on the board. 

No time was wasted — Ross was forced to make her first save of the game just 45 seconds into the second half, but the Judges fought back. Just 10 minutes later, Raju dribbled her way around to beat the Engineers’ defense and found the back of the net at 54:36. Battling through the second half as MIT pulled off eight shots, including three on goal which Ross saved, the Judges held the score. 

However, the Judges failed to secure the victory, as the Engineers gained steam and at 79:46, MIT's Emiko Pope got past Ross to tie the game. In true heartbreaking fashion, less than three minutes later, Natalie Barnouw scored again for MIT, making the final score 2-1. The Judges could not come up with a response, leaving the final score 2-1, and much to be desired. Despite a late game botch, the Judges contended impressively. They got a taste of success against another ranked team and it was only MIT's late game scramble that saved the game for the Engineers. 

Taking a look at the statistics, although they were woefully out shot 24-3, the Judges defense proudly held the frustrated Engineers to just two conversions. Corner kicks were dominated by the Engineers, earning 8 to the Judges’ 0, but no goals were converted from either of these. 

As early in the season as it is, having an undefeated-streak broken still stings. The Judges will look ahead to their upcoming match against Bridgewater State on Wednesday, Sept. 17, to rally, regroup, and restart their winning streak. 

The Judges currently have the third best record in the University Athletics Association. Their first test against a fellow UAA team will come on Oct. 5 when the Brandeis women will travel Carnegie Mellon University.