On Aug. 1, Provost and Executive Vice President for Academic Affairs Carol Fierke and Executive Vice President of Finance and Administration Stewart Uretsky sent an email to the Brandeis community regarding the creation of a new University-wide artificial intelligence task force. This task force is the University’s second step in managing Artificial Intelligence use; the first being the formation of its Generative AI in Teaching and Learning group, which developed an interim set of Artificial Intelligence recommendations in May 2024 at Provost Fierke’s request. 

The task force’s purpose is to “develop a coordinated approach, set best practices, develop clear workflows and ensure the safe and responsible use of generative AI for [the Brandeis] community.” This new technology can be a helpful tool for learning as long as its usage is in accordance with the University’s values. 

More specifically, Fierke and Uretsky highlighted that AI presents challenges to academic integrity, intellectual property and data security. Thus, the task force’s objective is to work alongside the Information Technology Service’s Security and Brandeis Data Trustees and Stewards to create a set of “recommended best practices, procedures and workflows” for community members’ use of AI platforms and ensure the security of University data. The task force will also be exploring ways for generative AI to embellish teaching, faculty and student research and administrative projects.

The new task force’s co-chairs will be University Librarian Matthew Sheehy and Director of Strategic Outreach and Engagement Steven Knowles. The current task force members include the Director of the Russian Language Program, Prof. Irene Dubinina (RUS); the Deputy University Librarian, Laura Hibbler; the Director of Data and Systems Integration, Ian Rifkin; the Chief Information Security Officer, David Albrecht; the Associate Director for the English Language Programs, Scott Moore; the Program Director and Research Associate for Racial Justice x Technology Policy at the Heller School, Ezra Tefera; Prof. Nianwen Xue (COSI/LING) and the Director of Licensing and Strategic Alliances, Rajnish Kaushik. However, Fierke and Uretsky noted that AI is an “evolving issue” and accordingly, the task force’s membership is subject to change.