The results of the 2024 Waltham Massachusetts State primary elections on Sept. 3 have been certified and posted on Waltham’s official city website. The state primary for offices other than president took place on Tuesday, Sept. 3 2024, and included votes for  a range of local and national positions. According to the results spreadsheet, a total of 36,947 registered voters participated in Waltham’s primary elections. 

The first recorded result was for a Senator in Congress. Incumbent Senator Elizabeth Warren ran unopposed, earning a victory in Waltham with 5,506 votes. Additionally, according to election data, there were also 74 write-ins for Senators in Congress, as well as 586 blank votes. Warren, a Democrat, has served as a Massachusetts senator since 2012. According to her website, Warren has put forward plans to end lobbying, impose an ultra-millionaire tax on fortunes worth over $50 million, build more than three million new homes and require every public company to disclose climate-related risks among other democratic policies. Warren advanced from the Democratic Primary and will be on the ballot on Nov. 5.

Ten-year Democrat Incumbent Katherine Clark won Representative in Congress for Massachusetts fifth congressional district, which Waltham falls under. Like Warren, she ran unopposed, earning a total of 5,481 votes in favor and winning Waltham. There were also 48 write-ins and 637 blank votes. Overall, she won her primary, and will be appearing on the Nov. 5 ballot. Clark has served on the Massachusetts senate since 2013 and was elected by Congress Democrats to serve as Democratic Whip in 2022. According to her website, Clark is “a leading proponent for ending wage discrimination; safeguarding access to abortion; ending gun violence; improving access to affordable, quality child care; and guaranteeing paid leave.” Clark advanced from the Democratic Primary and will be on the ballot on November 5.

Democrats Marilyn M. Petitto Devaney and Mara Dolan contested for the Third District’s seat on the Governor’s Council. Devaney, the incumbent since 1999, won Waltham with 3,083 votes. The election was close — Dolan had received 2,559 votes, with 11 write-ins and 513 blank votes. Devaney did, however, lose the overall vote to Dolan and will be stepping down from the council in January 2025. According to Devaney’s website, much of her campaign relied on the fact that Devaney is not a lawyer, meaning that she would have a greater capacity to be impartial in the face of the many judiciary tasks put in front of the governor’s council. Dolan, who won the overall vote across the Third District, advertised her position as a Public Defender on her website. There, she also emphasized her goals of forwarding science-based addiction recovery and raising the age of Juvenile Court jurisdiction, as well as pointing out that she is pro-choice unlike Devaney. 

Michael J. Barrett ran unopposed for the Third District’s Senator in General Court. He won Waltham with 5130 votes, with 31 write-ins and 1,005 blank ballots. Barrett has been a Massachusetts State Senator since 1990 and is the Assistant Majority Leader. According to his website, Barret has advocated for longer school days, equal rights on the basis of sexual orientation, pro-choice advocacy, health care for underserved communities, and green policies such as the Toxic Use Reduction Act. 

Democrat Thomas M. Stanley ran against Democrat Heather A. May for Representative in General Court for the Ninth Middlesex District (Waltham includes both the Ninth and Tenth Middlesex Districts for Massachusetts Court representatives). Stanley, the incumbent and long-time Waltham resident, won Waltham with 2,248 votes to May’s 2,038 votes. There were four write-ins and 91 blank ballots. May’s website highlights her primary issues as having an accountable and transparent government, affordable housing and climate justice. Stanley’s website features answered questionnaires from several Waltham residents and organizations. In a questionnaire from Resident Dan Berlin, Stanely articulates the importance of securing state and local funding to support projects such as Waltham’s new high school and preventing private housing development in Waltham. He is also a member of several committees within the Massachusetts House of Representatives, including the Elder Nutrition Commission and the LGBTQ+ Aging Commission. 

For the Tenth Middlesex District Representative, Democrat John Lawn Jr. ran unopposed and won Waltham with 1,093 votes. There were 11 write-ins and 181 blank ballots. The race for 10th Middlesex District Representative is ongoing and Lawn will appear on the November 5 ballot. Should he lose, his term will end in January 2025. Lawn is a part of several committees, including the Health Care Financing Joint Committee and the Election Laws Joint Committee

For Middlesex County’s Clerk of Courts, Michael Sullivan — Democrat —  ran unopposed and won Waltham with 5,041 votes. There were 22 write-ins and 1,103 blank ballots. Sullivan has served as the Clerk of Courts since 2007. 

Maria C. Curtatone — Democrat — ran unopposed for Register of Deeds Middlesex South, winning Waltham 5,032 votes with 26 write-ins and 1,108 blank ballots. An incumbent, she has served as the Register of Deeds since 2013. Her website elevates her achievements, such as “digitization and online availability of ALL recorded land books and registered land case plans,” “homestead informational sessions to educate constituents,” and “consumer alerts to protect constituents from potentially costly solicitations and unauthorized recordings.” 

Three Republican candidates ran for Massachusetts Senator: Robert J. Antonellis, Ian Cain and John Deaton. They received 448 votes, 96 votes and 821 votes, respectively, with Deaton winning Waltham.  There were two write-ins and 18 blank ballots. Deaton is also the candidate to advance from the Republican Primary and will be appearing on the Nov. 5 ballot. Deaton, U.S. Marine veteran and cancer survivor, presents himself as a champion for “underdogs.” He also takes a special interest in cryptocurrencies. 

Carly Marie Downs, a Republican, ran unopposed for Representative in General Court for Ninth Middlesex District. She won Waltham with 685 votes, with 17 write-ins and 374 blank ballots. She champions herself as a representative for small business, her website stating that she ran because she is “sick and tired of our elected officials doing nothing to change the status quo.” 

Comparing this primary with Waltham’s 2020 state primary reveals that somewhat fewer voters showed up to the polls this year, despite a relatively constant population size.