A'ja Wilson CC.jpg

During the 2024 Women's National Basketball Association season, Las Vegas Aces center A’ja Wilson has put the finishing touches on what is likely her third career Most Valuable Player award with some eye-popping records: most points in a season, most points per game in a season and most rebounds in a season. She also leads the league in blocks. It’s a single-season performance unprecedented in WNBA history, but it is the crown jewel in what has been a long line of shattered records in a season highlighted by the leagues’ top-performing stars, new and old.

Rookie sensations Caitlin Clark and Angel Reese have brought an immense amount of attention to the WNBA this season. Reese is a forward for the Chicago Sky and Clark is a point guard for the Indiana Fever. They teamed up in the WNBA All-Star game, which was the most watched event of the season, drawing more viewers than any other WNBA broadcast since 1997, per Entertainment and Sports Programming Network. The two had notable battles in college, with Reese playing for Louisiana State University and Clark for the University of Iowa Hawkeyes. Their first meeting during the 2023 National Championship game saw LSU come out on top, although Iowa won the rematch a year later in the Elite Eight round of March Madness. The history between the two had many anticipating their first professional matchup earlier this year on June 1, which the Fever won 71-70. For their part, the two rookies have been complimentary to each other, asserting that any perceived rivalry exists purely on the court, not off of it. “I love that we’re able to compete and still be cool after, regardless of the outside noise,” Reese told Women’s Health Magazine. 

The two were locked in a fierce rookie of the year battle, each setting statistical records. Clark set the single season mark for assists, with 337; became the first rookie to record a triple-double; and led the league in three-point field goals made. Reese set a single season record for rebounds per game and recorded 15 straight double-doubles, the longest streak of that kind in League History. The race ended early, however, with Reese missing the final six games of the season due to a wrist injury. Other rookie standouts include the Los Angeles Sparks duo including forward Cameron Brink, who finished second in blocks per game in an injury-shortened season, and forward Rickea Jackson, who became the third rookie in team history to score over 400 points in a season.

It’s not just new talent that is driving increased attention to the WNBA. Although the most-viewed regular season broadcasts this season featured Clark, average viewership of all broadcasts increased 170% compared to 2023, according to ESPN. This trend held up even into the second half of the season when the league was competing with the National Football League for viewers. It’s the most successful season, ratings wise, for the league since its early days in the 90s. 

The WNBA playoffs began on Sept. 22. The New York Liberty, led by forward Breanna Stewart and guard Sabrina Ionescu, have the best record in the league and are favorites to win the finals. Their first matchup is against the Atlanta Dream, who upset the Liberty in the final game of the 2024 season to clinch the final playoff spot. During that game, Dream veteran Tina Charles broke the WNBA all-time record for rebounds and double-doubles. Clark helped propel the Fever to the playoffs after a 1-8 start, breaking the team’s 7-year playoff drought. Wilson and the defending champion Aces will begin their title defense against the Seattle Storm. The playoffs will be headlined by stars, new and old alike. For basketball fans looking to get into the WNBA, there’s never been a better time to start watching.