As the singer and guitarist of the Lowell, Massachusetts based band The P.A.’s, Ellis Roundy’s role within the group exists at the intersection of music, storytelling and graphic design. With a distinct focus on world-building that is largely grounded in Jewish, Tolkien-esque and other mythologies, Roundy and his bandmates — Joe Milia (drums), Ian Miller (synth and keys) and Liam Asselin (bass) — have weaved a continuous narrative throughout their last few projects. 

In a Sept. 29 interview with The Justice, Roundy shared insights into the band’s creative process and the inspirations that drive the artistry behind their “dungeon psych” sound. Sonically, The P.A.’s have been compared to garage and psychedelic acts like Ty Segall, Thee Oh Sees and King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard, but they view their music as more than just a collection of songs — it’s a holistic experience that follows a continuous and thoughtfully crafted story arc. 

Roundy emphasized that their creative journey begins with establishing what events will unfold with their characters in the lyrics. “We develop sort of the outline for what the lore is going to cover on each record before we start writing,” he explained. This commitment to storytelling allows for flexibility during the recording process. Roundy noted, “If something just doesn’t come across the right way, I can just change the lyric and it’s fine. It doesn’t change the meaning of the song really, because I know what the meaning is supposed to be.”

This adaptability makes it so that the lyrics maintain alignment with the overarching narrative, as the group remains committed to coherence in both meaning and sound. “There’s a greater purpose than just the music and how things sound to us,” Roundy said.

Bikes Photos Vaughn 9-30-24-0001.jpg
ORCS: The P.A.’s paint extra eyes on their faces to resemble J. R. R. Tolkien’s six-eyed orcs.

While Roundy’s interest in Jewish and other kinds of folklore is integral to the project’s aesthetic identity, The P.A.’s’ songwriting process is highly collaborative. Roundy described a dynamic with his bandmates where all members contribute ideas during rehearsals. “A lot of the time, we’ll be like, ‘Okay, today we want to do a lot of writing,’ so everyone kind of comes with an idea prepared,” he noted. This collaborative structure can manifest in various forms, and can also fluctuate depending on the day and the inspiration that strikes the band.

Sometimes Roundy will present fully formed songs, while at other times the band develops ideas collectively. “We’ll flesh it out together,” he added. “Joe will come to rehearsal with an idea for a drum part, and then we’ll turn that into part of a song.” Their back-and-forth process creates a rich, layered sound that, over the years, has expanded in range.

“It’s a bit of give and take,” Roundy explained, describing the process as an organic blend of individual contributions and group decisions. “Sometimes I’ll bring them completely written songs, and we’ll go from there. It is truly a collaborative writing experience.”

The P.A.’s are currently navigating changes within their lineup, as their former bassist left to pursue personal projects and their new bassist, Liam Asselin, has joined the group. Roundy spoke about maintaining their creative momentum, saying, “We’re getting him acclimated to the band and rehearsing with him, but also writing at the same time.” 

Amid this transition, The P.A.’s are staying consistent with releasing new projects. “We have an EP that’s probably going to be released the Friday before Halloween,” Roundy said. Looking ahead, he mentioned plans for another record to be released sometime early next year.

The P.A.’s are also eyeing touring opportunities. “We’re looking at touring the South soon,” Roundy said. While they are still finalizing details, the group is continuing to play shows around the Boston and New England area. “If you look at our Spotify, you can see if we’re playing near you,” he noted.

Performing live has been an integral part of The P.A.’s’ journey, and Roundy recounted one fond tour highlight from a show held at an art gallery in Elgin, Illinois: “We got a circle pit going which is where people just run in a circle as fast as they can and it just spreads.” During this performance, Roundy had stacked his cabs — which are essentially speakers housed in wooden enclosures — secured them with a ratchet strap and climbed on top of them. “Watching the circle pit go as I was playing from on top of the cab was a really wild experience,” he recalled fondly.

Bikes Photos Vaughn 9-30-24-0003.jpg
LIVE PERFORMANCES: The band has toured all over the East Coast and in the Midwest.

Roundy’s artistic inclinations extend beyond music into his work as a graphic designer and illustrator. “Communication and world-building are kind of inherent to both of those things,” he explained, referencing diverse influences from Swiss design to 1970s airbrush fantasy art. “Every time you create something, you’re building a world, whether it’s a graphic design project or a song.”

With The P.A.’s, Roundy combines his talents, handling the graphic design work for album covers and promotional materials. “To be able to have a project where I can do all of the illustration and all of the design work, and write the music and record it, and write all the lore around it — it’s an ideal project for me,” he said. This multifaceted role allows him to immerse himself in every aspect of the project, creating an original blend of audio and visual elements.

He points to bands like The White Stripes and Tame Impala who are known for taking control of their unique aesthetic choices. “When you get a White Stripes record, it doesn’t look like any of the other records because they’re following a very strict guideline about how they want their stuff presented,” Roundy noted. He believes that a band’s image should complement its musical output. “It creates its own sound,” he asserted, noting the interconnectedness of visuals and music.

Roundy’s storytelling is informed by various artists he personally engages with. “Concept albums are obviously a major influence on me,” he stated, citing artists like Grimes, Xiu Xiu and Pink Floyd as inspirations. “They’ve informed what the scale of an artistic project can be.” The level of depth and complexity of these concept albums motivate Roundy to push the boundaries of his own ideas.

As The P.A.’s prepare for their upcoming releases and continue to refine their collaborative process, Roundy’s vision remains clear: to build a discography grounded in an expansive fictional world that is uniquely their own. While the group has plans to continue performing across the country, they are still playing shows in the Lowell area, with their next show scheduled for Oct. 18 at The Valley. 

Bikes Photos Vaughn 9-30-24-0004.jpg
FOLKLORE AND FANTASY: The band’s last few albums follow a fictional narrative.