The 2024 Major League Baseball playoffs kick off with the wildcard round this Tuesday, Oct 1. In the American League, the third seeded Houston Astros will host the fifth seeded Kansas City Royals, while the fourth seeded Baltimore Orioles face off against the sixth seeded Detroit Tigers. The Cleveland Guardians will play the winner of the Astros/Royals game, and the top seeded Yankees will play the winner of the Orioles/Tigers game. Over in the National League, the third seeded Milwaukee Brewers will play the sixth seeded New York Mets, while the fourth seeded San Diego Padres play the fifth seeded Atlanta Braves. The top seeded Los Angeles Dodgers will play the winner of the Braves/Padres game, and the Philadelphia Phillies will play the winner of the Brewers/Mets game. 

After missing the playoffs in a disappointing 2023 season, the Yankees acquired right fielder Juan Soto from the Padres in a massive trade, and their pitching staff has put in some good work after struggling with injuries last year. But if anyone deserves the spotlight for New York this season, it’s center fielder Aaron Judge, who has put together an absurd offensive season and is a near-lock to win his second Most Valuable Player award. 

It’s hard to call the Cleveland Guardians a surprise team this year, as they’ve made the playoffs six times since 2016. However, few expected them to be fighting for first place in the American League come October. Third baseman José Ramírez and first baseman Josh Naylor are standouts, as always. While starting pitching has been shaky at times, their bullpen, especially closer Emmanuel Clase, has helped the Guardians exceed expectations to this degree.

No one was prepared to count the Astros out — even as they floundered well into June — but one could be forgiven for wondering if Houston had finally run out of gas after seven straight American League Champion Series appearances. However, any hopes for their demise were dashed when the Astros came roaring back in the second half of the season to claim their seventh division title in eight years. Regardless of how they’ve looked this year, they’re a team no one wants to face come October.

After a breakout season last year, the Orioles are proving that their progress is not a fluke. Their success this season has come from their talented young bats, led by shortstop Gunnar Henderson, and also thanks to a career-best year from right fielder Anthony Santander. They’ll be a dangerous team to face for any division winner, provided they beat their wildcard opponent.

The Kansas City Royals were one of the worst teams in baseball last year, but manager Matt Quatraro has this team playing like success is second nature. Were it not for Aaron Judge, shortstop Bobby Witt Jr. would likely be the American League MVP. The Royals don’t score a lot of home runs — they hit for contact and play good defense. They go into October with no expectations, which is the worst kind of team to face.

On Aug. 10, the Tigers were 55 - 63 after losing to the San Francisco Giants. Then they went 31 - 11 with a 4 - 1 win against the Chicago White Sox on Sept. 27. It is one of the most improbable end-of-season runs to make the playoffs in recent memory. While they’ve struggled offensively at times, starting pitcher Tarik Skubal has been electric and is a top contender for the American League’s Cy Young Award this year. They’re likely outmatched against the Orioles, but Detroit has gotten hot at the right time and that’s the key to October baseball.

The Dodgers and two-way phenom Shohei Ohtani dominated the offseason news cycle, both for good and bad reasons, but it’s clear why Los Angeles gave Ohtani his record-breaking 700 million dollar contract in spite of coming off Tommy John surgery. This season, Ohtani became the first player to record 50 home runs and 50 stolen bases. The Dodgers have had everything needed to make a World Series run for years. Now, the expectations have never been higher.

The Phillies lost the World Series in 2022 and were a game away from returning in 2023. This season, they’re back doing what they do best: overwhelming teams with offensive firepower. But this year, their much-improved defense has made them a complete team. Add in a career-best year from starting pitcher Zach Wheeler and the Phillies are a formidable force to capture the National League pennant.

The Brewers aren’t a flashy team, but that’s much of the reason for their success. They have an elite defensive infield and a great bullpen. They’re third in MLB in stolen bases and second in walks. It will be an uphill battle through the postseason without their best hitter, left fielder Christian Yelich, but they haven’t shown many signs of slowing down since losing him in August.  

The Padres missed the playoffs, traded away arguably their most talented player and got better. It may not make sense, but there’s no denying the Padres’ success. Third baseman Manny Machado has been great, and they boast a two-headed pitching monster in Dylan Cease and Michael King. The Padres are built for October and are eyeing a potential playoff matchup against their longtime rivals, the Dodgers.

The Braves have had it rough with injuries. Last year’s National League MVP Ronald Acuña Jr. and starting pitcher Spencer Strider will miss the playoffs. However, starting pitcher Chris Sale and designated hitter Marcel Ozuna have put the team on their backs. Gio Urshela was a mid-season pickup at third base and has been a welcome contributor. The Braves have talent all over their roster, but depth will be an issue this postseason. 

The Mets were one of the worst teams in the National league in late May. Something finally clicked, and they went 25-12 through late July, tying Houston for the best record over that stretch. Their starting pitching is good enough to keep them in games, especially when their bullpen has struggled at times. Shortstop Francisco Lindor has been great, but the 24-year-old third baseman Marcus Vientos has been the biggest standout. 

The playoffs will run through October, with the World Series beginning on Friday, Oct. 25.