Following a two week break in sports coverage, there are a considerable amount of  highs and lows to capture for the Brandeis men’s and women’s soccer teams. Both faced University Athletic Association foes Carnegie Mellon, Washington University in St. Louis and the University of Chicago for the first time this season. The men's team  also faced the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. 

Starting with the men’s team, their recent performances have been characterized by an upswing in momentum as their overall record has improved to 5-3-2 in conference play and 2-1 in the UAA. 

The Judges faced Carnegie Mellon University at home in Pittsburgh on Oct. 5, and scored first in the 18th minute thanks to a well-placed shot into the upper corner of the net from Elan Romo ’26. This was Romo’s first goal of the season. The first half was controlled by the Judges, who outshot the Tartans 6-4, but Carnegie fought back, scoring in the 64th minute. This was no sweat off Eli Mones ’25's back, however, as he scored just 11 seconds later to put Brandeis back on top. Although the Tartans spent the second half outshooting the Judges 11-4, they could not equalize again and Brandeis walked away with their first victory of the season against a UAA rival. 

Next up was MIT, who the Judges bested on Oct. 8 in the final non-conference match of the season. Scoring three times in the first half, the Judges decisively handled the Engineers. This game saw two Brandeis first-years score their first collegiate goals as Dylan Marzouca ’28 scored in the 21st minute following a corner kick from Rainer Osselmann-Chai ’26 and Kaden Collins ’28 nailed a header at 24:48. Unfortunately for MIT goalie Hernando Ardilla ’27,  the Judges did not let up as Nico Benida ’26 made it a quick 3-0 bloodbath at 29:39. The Engineers made an attempt at a comeback in the 51st minute, scoring their one goal of the game, but Osselmann-Chai ’26 responded in the 61st minute to solidify the Judges’ lead. Despite the blowout score, the teams were nearly equal in shots taken and shots on goal, Brandeis narrowly outshooting MIT 15-14 and 7-6 respectively. 

Quintin Wrabley ’25 and his six saves earned him UAA Defensive Player of the Week honors as he continued his impressive goalkeeping during the following game on Oct. 11 against WashU. Wrabley made eight saves against the Bears to hold the score to a 1-0 victory for the Judges. The Bears gave the Judges a tough battle and Brandeis was outshot 21-8, including 8-1 in shots on goal, truly making Wrabley the hero of the game. Mones as well had another career highlight with scoring under the pressure in the 88th minute. 

Following their two decisive wins against Carnegie and MIT, as well as their hard-fought but ultimately victorious game against WashU, the Judges’ streak of successes was broken by the University of Chicago Maroons on Oct. 19. Playing in Chicago, the Judges started off the contentious match with a goal by Maddox Yu ’27 in the sixth minute. Chicago answered with two goals at 11:40 and 40:53 to close the first half. Mones sought to salvage the game for the Judges, scoring from 40 yards out in the 59th minute to make it all three games against UAA opponents in which the senior has contributed points on the board. Despite valiant play from the Judges, the Maroons made it 3-2 at 76:02 and this became the final score in another tough game. 

As for the women, the Judges suffered three uncomfortable losses despite being ranked 21st in the nation heading into their game against Carnegie Mellon. 

In the women’s UAA opener against Carnegie, Brandeis controlled 61% of the possession but the Tartans outshot the Judges 7-1. Despite attempts from Rachel Watler ’25 and Ali Pennella ’27 in the 67th and 71st minute, the Judges were denied, and at 86:45, goalie Rachel Ross MSBA ’25, let in a well-placed ball just under the crossbar. Ross made five saves throughout the game however, and overall the game signaled one of the first real challenges the Judges have faced this season.

Before their following game versus WashU, the Judges’ national ranking was lowered to no. 23, but the women put up a courageous fight against the top ranked Bears. The game was ultimately, and frustratingly, decided on a penalty kick in the 37th minute. Ross guessed correctly and dived to the right of the net, but was unable to make the stop. She kept up an impressive shut-out for the rest of the game however, making a career high eight saves. Again, Panella made a last-ditch attempt in the 86th minute with the Judges’ only shot on goal but was rejected. The game ended 1-0 with WashU outshooting Brandeis 18-7, including 9-1 in shots on goal, yet the game was another strong show of endurance and grit for the Judges. The women were rewarded with a season’s best national ranking of no. 20 heading into their game against unranked Chicago. 

After two straight losses, the Judges headed to Chicago on Oct. 19 ready for a change. Sam Kipperman ’25 scored in the 13th minute, thanks to an assist from Watler. This was Watler’s eighth assist of the season, giving her the lead in the UAA and marking an impressive feat for a defensive player. Brandeis was in for a surprise, however, as 11 seconds later, Chicago scored an equalizer. The game was tied heading into halftime with Chicago outshooting Brandeis 8-6. The Judges were unable to come up with a response in the second half and instead let the Maroons score another three times at 58:29, 65:25 and 81:51. Despite another eight saves by Ross, the game ended with a tired 4-1 loss for the Judges, as they were outshot 27-9. 

The Judges come home this week for a men’s and women’s doubleheader this Friday, Oct. 25 versus Emory University, another UAA team for the Judges to challenge. The women aim to earn their no. 20 ranking after christening it with a loss, and the men seek to build on their current winning record heading into the final games of the regular season.