This fall, Waltham High School students stepped into their brand new building for the first time — a high school that combines traditional classroom learning and vocational programs. The state of the art building allows students to explore a wide range of educational options and decide which style of learning best suits their academic needs.

Still not fully completed, this five year long project was made possible by an approximately 400 million dollar loan, which according to the Columbia Broadcasting System is the “largest in Massachusetts history for a public school.” This new building replaces the previous high school facility that had been in use since 1968.

According to the Waltham High School Building Project website, “In 2005 Waltham High School was put on warning status by the New England Associates of Schools and Colleges, Inc. ...  The warning related specifically to technology limitations, outdated science labs and handicap accessibility issues throughout the school.” Since 2005, the school has undergone small updates to improve the issues on this list, but the true fix to remove the warning status was building a new facility. In addition to solving the issues listed above, the facility allows for 1,830 students rather than the approximately 1,675 at the older building. The new campus also has the capacity to accommodate an expansion if deemed necessary in the future.

With the new build, the school district was able to expand its offerings under Chapter 74. Chapter 74, the Massachusetts standard for vocational education, “[outlines] rigorous standards for program approval, including curriculum, teaching, equipment, oversight, and review” according to the Massachusetts Association of Vocational Administrators.

On Oct. 15, Michael Grace, Director of Career & Technical Education, shared with The Justice: “We are expanding our offerings and will now have four new programs including; Cosmetology, Environmental Technology, Heating Ventilation Air Conditioning and Refrigeration (HVAC-R) Programming & Web Development,” The new building also includes the original ten vocational programs offered by Waltham, consisting of Automotive Technology, Carpentry, Collision Technology, Culinary Arts, Early Education & Care, Electrical, Electronics, Graphic Communications, Health Assisting and Television Broadcasting. 

In addition to engaging students who are interested in a more hands-on style of learning, the school has been built to optimize community engagement. The building is split into many color-coded wings with a large number of external exits specifically placed near technical program areas to allow members of the community to safely enter and exit. 

The new cosmetology program is one that will soon be open to community members. With state-of-the-art facilities, walking into the classroom feels just like walking into a salon, complete with hair stations, nail stations and a spa room in the back. Once students receive appropriate training, individuals will be able to book appointments for services, allowing students to gain practical experiences with real clients without leaving the school. 

The culinary arts shop is complete with what will soon be open as a fully functioning restaurant, allowing community and family members to be served a handmade meal and baked goods by students. The restaurant is complete with a large observation window into the kitchen, allowing restaurant goers to glimpse a peek at the cooking process and watch the students be taught in real time. 

Early Education & Care is also located near an external door, as plans to open a childcare facility are in the works. Complete with its very own playground, the vocational shop has three classrooms suited for young children’s education. They have observation areas that will allow the high school students to view classroom operations without leaving the building. This also opens up opportunities for older high school students to participate in cooperative education positions within the classrooms. Grace informed The Justice that the goal for this facility is for it to be operational with a staff of teachers during the 2025-2026 academic year.

Automotive Technology and Collision Technology are also open for public services, meaning anyone associated with the school and all residents of Waltham are able to bring their cars to the school for both internal and external repairs. While not free of charge, the patrons are only asked to pay for parts and materials which can lead to large savings in labor costs.

In addition to on campus services, students are able to hold off-campus positions in the form of cooperative education programs. Due to the scheduling of shop time, upperclassmen are able to leave campus for the second half of each day to gain practical experience working hands-on in their fields. Waltham High School Principal Darrell Braggs told WBZ-TV, “Every kid doesn’t go to college. I think we are in a world and a state that’s accepting the fact that our kids do a lot of other jobs.” The integration of vocational education into a high school such as this one allows students to connect with their peers who have all different interests, encouraging them to learn from one another. 

Waltham High School also offers the more traditional academic focused learning path for students interested in focusing on courses such as those associated with the Advanced Placement Program. However, these students are also able to take advantage of the state of the art facilities built for the technical programs.

Since all of the programs are not currently at capacity, other elective classes can be taught out of the spaces, allowing students to receive some of the experiences without committing to enrolling in a vocational program. The CTE Program Electives, many of which have their own spaces in this new school building, allow students to gain hands-on skills during their elective periods. Some examples of these classes include Fashion Design I, II & III, Introduction to the Healthcare Field, Animation & Motion Graphics, Bake Shop and Financial Literacy. Courses like these allow the school to maximize usage of spaces both in and outside of the shops, while equipping students with useful skills moving forward. 

In addition to classroom and vocational spaces, the school has a brand new auditorium to be utilized for student performances, a new media center complete with a cafe and a turf field atop the parking structure for sports teams to utilize. 

Waltham High School welcomed students at the beginning of this school year, and opened its doors on Oct. 6 and Oct. 15 to the community. Two guests per Waltham household were invited to take a 30 minute tour of the school and check out the new facilities. 

Administrators expressed excitement regarding the future of this new school and the potential for program growth. Students have gone from an outdated building to a modern one, and their opportunities to engage in hands-on learning have widened. The school’s unique blend of vocational and traditional academic styles show promise, possibly becoming a model as more public schools embrace practical education in addition to college preparation.